Many guests come to Tawnylust Lodge simply to chill out and relax, but there are a host of fantastic attractions right on your doorstep.
Enjoy spectacular views and vistas, with some of the best scenery that Ireland has to offer, Immerse yourself in Yeats’ country, visit historical castles and monuments, spoil yourself with magnificent culinary treats, cycle the River Shannon Blueway, or try out the watersports on the nearby coastline: all these attractions and more are within a short drive.
As well as giving you the warmest welcome, your host Nuala will share her extensive knowledge of the area with you. She’ll let you know her favourite places in Ireland’s Hidden Heartlands and advise you on all the magical attractions nearby.
Here are Nuala’s top tips to get you started!
- Two-day walking package: one day self-guided walk in one of Leitrim’s magical forests or riverside strolls, one day leisurely hill walk in wild countryside €40/person.
- Visit Ireland’s longest established Organic Centre and take a tour of the gardens, while enjoying a tasty lunch there; Tours €10. Click here to visit the Organic Centre website.
- Take a walk or drive on the Wild Atlantic coastline; Free; Click here for information on the Wild Atlantic Way.
- Visit a selection of Leitrim’s stunning waterfalls; Free
- Visit the nearby Cuilcagh Geopark including the iconic Stairway to Heaven and Marble Arch Caves. Click here for further information.
- A walk on Ireland’s first floating boardwalk at Acres Lake; Free
- A cycle on the beautiful River Shannon Blueway; €30/ half day electric bike hire; Click here for more information on Electric Bike Trails.
- Hear some traditional Irish Music in a local pub; Free
- As you are in the home of Drumshanbo Gunpowder and Pot Still Whiskey, a visit to the Shed Distillery and coffee shop is a must. Click here for further information.
- Come on a slow adventure and immerse yourself in nature in lovely Leitrim; Click here for information on Slow Adventure
Other Nearby Attractions
- Cycling and walking: Kingfisher cycling trail and North West Cycle trail: maps and bicycle hire available locally. The Leitrim Way walking route is visible from the Lodge. The North Leitrim Glens are internationally renowned for their superb hill walking, affording fabulous views of the surrounding land and seascapes (guide available on request).
- Fishing: Course fishing at Lough Macnean 6km (license required). Game fishing, Lough Melvin 15km, and Bonet River 6km.
- Golfing: Blacklion Golf Club 14km, Lough Erne Golf Resort 30km
- Teenager / Young Adult Friendly: Surfing at Bundoran 23km, SUP (stand up paddling) available at Dromahair, water and land activities, canoeing, banana boat, orienteering, caving and mountain biking available at Corralea Activity Centre, 15km.
- A picnic basket is available for guests’ use and there is a beautiful picnic area on the shores of Lough Macnean 6km away.
- Visit Sean MacDiarmada’s Cottage and Kiltyclogher Heritage Centre